Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2009

Food

This is sort of, de facto, a food blog. So in the spirit of that, I thought I'd post this little film I just got from one of Kate's folks. It's actually that person's relative-by-marriage's nephew. Where ever it came from, it seems to be fresh.

It's called sannakji in Korea, and it seems like it's the equivalent of eating oysters. It's popular among some martial artists and like oysters, it seems those who eat it believe it imbues some potency upon consumption. It's also apparently a struggle trying to eat a live octopus. Some reading I've done on it noted that it was sometimes a serious problem with folks who've had to much to drink. The beast is of course trying to survive, so they fight on the way down. They need to be thoroughly chewed else they could gab a hold on the way down and choke their diner. That's one of the reasons it served on chopped seaweed and with sesame oil. The seaweed helps to prevent its suction cups from attaching to the plate. And the oil helps hinder its ability to attach inside your mouth. Here's a National Geographic flick on the dish.

1 comment:

Anne Yorks said...

A little creepy for me. I don't I'll serve this at Grace's 2nd birthday party. Contrary to what your 'experts' say...I think eating this dish after a few very strong drinks would be the only way to go. Otherwise, I don't think I'd be brave enough to try!