Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August's Bounty

Up late, as usual for this time of year. Tonight I canned 1/2 gallon of green beans and 1 1/2 gallons of stewed tomato.

The beauty of August is that the work in the garden starts paying off big time, and we have more than we can eat. That means, however, that I have to put by the surplus so that it does not go to waste and stays freshest and best-tasting for winter.

This week I've also put by another gallon of pickles (bread and butter, since the dill has gone to seed), and Tony harvested the potatoes.

Oddly enough, I harvested the pumpkins and most of the winter squash over a week ago. We were set upon by squash beetles in the main patch, and so I pulled them to save them. I am trying to harden them further in the yard so that I can keep them whole through the winter, but if necessary I can cook them up and can or freeze them, too. It was a lovely harvest of sugar pumpkins, and a few butternut squash. The acorn squash has (so far) escaped the bugs, so those are still growing.

No comments: